Monday, July 28, 2008

Daily - 7/28/08

1 Kings 33-14

3 Solomon loved the LORD, and obeyed the statutes of his father David; yet he offered sacrifice and burned incense on the high places.

4 The king went to Gibeon to sacrifice there, because that was the most renowned high place. Upon its altar Solomon offered a thousand holocausts.

5 In Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream at night. God said, "Ask something of me and I will give it to you."

6 Solomon answered: "You have shown great favor to your servant, my father David, because he behaved faithfully toward you, with justice and an upright heart; and you have continued this great favor toward him, even today, seating a son of his on his throne.

7 O LORD, my God, you have made me, your servant, king to succeed my father David; but I am a mere youth, not knowing at all how to act.

8 I serve you in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a people so vast that it cannot be numbered or counted.

9 Give your servant, therefore, an understanding heart to judge your people and to distinguish right from wrong. For who is able to govern this vast people of yours?"

10 The LORD was pleased that Solomon made this request.

11 So God said to him: "Because you have asked for this--not for a long life for yourself, nor for riches, nor for the life of your enemies, but for understanding so that you may know what is right--

12 I do as you requested. I give you a heart so wise and understanding that there has never been anyone like you up to now, and after you there will come no one to equal you.

13 In addition, I give you what you have not asked for, such riches and glory that among kings there is not your like.

14 And if you follow me by keeping my statutes and commandments, as your father David did, I will give you a long life."

------------------

This was the first reading at Mass last Sunday. I was really struck by these things:

· Solomon’s love for the Lord came from his father David. That’s a huge lesson for those of us who raise kids. We have a tremendous responsibility to be spiritual leaders in our household. It is up to us (ie, not school, not PSR, not someone else) to develop faith in our children. What happens at school/PSR/whatever supplements it, but if they don’t see a faithful life from the parents, the chances of religious education taking hold decrease considerably.

· Given the opportunity to have ANYTHING, Solomon asks for an understanding and discerning heart. He asks God to fully equip him to carry out the assignment that God has given him. This is completely consistent with several of the New Testament passages that I’ve sent out recently about seeking out faith. God knows what we need, but he wants us to come to Him.

· Look at what happens in response. God gives Solomon more than what he asks for. He takes care of all his worldly needs.

· God asks for obedience in return: "if you follow me by keeping my statutes and commandments, as your father David did, I will give you a long life."