Thursday, May 29, 2008

Daily - 5/29/08

Matthew 11:27-30

27 “All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.

28 Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your selves.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."


This is one of my favorite passages. I find verse 27 very compelling – “nobody knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” This has been very important for me to remember over time, especially as I’ve prayed for grace to come to certain people. Christ is the bridge from God to Man. Revelation happens on an individual basis, and it happens according to God’s plan and schedule and in response to Man’s seeking. At times we are used by God to play a role in someone else’s spiritual development, but remember that we are just being used. God is doing the work, not us. If as individuals we push too hard, we may move out of God’s will and into our own, and the person might be turned off.

Verses 28-30 are a comforting call to rest in Christ and spiritual growth. In times of trouble (when I have my wits about me) I’ve really clung to these two verses. Come to me. Take my yoke (ie, tie yourself to me and let me guide you). Learn from me. I will give you rest. Other translations replace “selves” at the end of verse 29 with “souls.” Rest for the soul is something I crave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment!