Friday, January 9, 2009

Daily - 1/9/09

Ephesians 3:14-21

14 For this reason I kneel before the Father,

15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named,

16 that he may grant you in accord with the riches of his glory to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in the inner self,

17 and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, rooted and grounded in love,

18 may have strength to comprehend with all the holy ones what is the breadth and length and height and depth,

19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

20 Now to him who is able to accomplish far more than all we ask or imagine, by the power at work within us,

21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever.
Amen.
----------------

This is Paul praying for all of us to attain spiritual maturity – to “be strengthened with power through his Spirit in the inner self,” and to comprehend “the breadth and length and height and depth” of Christ’s love, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge.

This is a description of the abundant life that Jesus came to give us (John 10:10). What do I need to do to get it? From above, it appears that I can’t get this on my own – I need to pray to have God give me this grace. My strategy is to let the Word enrich me, to strive for obedience, to pursue the sacraments regularly (i.e. Eucharist and reconciliation), and to pray for God to strengthen my inner self with his Spirit. The last part is undoubtedly a stumbling block for men, who are very much used to solving problems themselves. In this case though, Paul is clear. This abundance is granted from God, and I need to make myself available to Him.

---------------
Epilogue, 1/9/09 – This was written in June 2008. Six month later, I have to say that this strategy works pretty well for me. I’ve gotten to the point where I pray almost daily for God to increase my faith, and to help me make myself available to Him, so that I can do what he wants. I’ve learned several lessons in humility that have driven home the message that the spiritual things that happen in my life are God’s doing, not mine -- until the next time I need to be reminded.

My job is to remain in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment!