Friday, April 17, 2009

Daily - 4/17/09

Acts 4:13-21

13 Observing the boldness of Peter and John and perceiving them to be uneducated, ordinary men, they were amazed, and they recognized them as the companions of Jesus.

14 Then when they saw the man who had been cured standing there with them, they could say nothing in reply.

15 So they ordered them to leave the Sanhedrin, and conferred with one another, saying,

16 "What are we to do with these men? Everyone living in Jerusalem knows that a remarkable sign was done through them, and we cannot deny it.

17 But so that it may not be spread any further among the people, let us give them a stern warning never again to speak to anyone in this name."

18 So they called them back and ordered them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus.

19 Peter and John, however, said to them in reply, "Whether it is right in the sight of God for us to obey you rather than God, you be the judges.

20 It is impossible for us not to speak about what we have seen and heard."

21 After threatening them further, they released them, finding no way to punish them, on account of the people who were all praising God for what had happened.

-------------

This follows from yesterday. We're still in front of the Sanhedrin, the same body that demanded Christ's execution. Looks like Annas is now the high priest, taking over from Caiaphas. These guys must have thought that their problem ended with killing Jesus. Now we have other men, normal and uneducated, preaching that salvation can only be found through Christ.

And they're not afraid of anything the Sanhedrin can do to them.

The words resonating with me this morning are those of Peter and John. "It is impossible for us not to speak about what we have seen and heard." I may not have met Christ physically, and I may not have physically seen the risen body, but I most definitely HAVE seen and heard Him. I've read of Him in the Word, and meditated over it. I've encountered Christ one-on-one in prayer. I've received his absolution in Reconciliation. I've physically encountered Him in the Eucharist. I have consumed Him, just as He told me to do. He has transformed me, and He continues to transform me.

Think about that -- it puts me in the same place as Peter and John. I have seen with my own eyes and heard with my own ears. The humbling question is this: in my own heart, am I like them? Is it impossible for me to be silent? If not, why not?