Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Daily - 4/28/09

John 6:35-40

35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.

36 But I told you that although you have seen (me), you do not believe.

37 Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me,

38 because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me.

39 And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me, but that I should raise it (on) the last day.

40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him (on) the last day."
-----------

This continues the Bread of Life discourse, and goes directly to the core of Christianity. All Christians, catholic and protestant, profess this. Faith begins right here. Everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and will be raised on the last day.

I have more to say but what I'd really like is to discuss the dialogue as a whole. The gospels for the next two days will complete the dialogue, we'll talk about it then. Until then, here's what the dust says.

AUGUSTINE (4th - 5th century): He does not say, That you believe Him, but, that you believe in Him. For the devils believed Him, and did not believe in Him; and we believe Paul, but do not believe in Paul. To believe in Him is believing to love, believing to honor Him, believing to go to Him, and be made members incorporate of His Body. The faith, which God requires of us, is that which works by love. Faith indeed is distinguished from works by the Apostle, who says, That man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. But the works indeed which appear good, without faith in Christ, are not really so, not being referred to that end, which makes them good. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believes. And therefore our Lord would not separate faith from works, but said that faith itself was the doing the work of God; He said not, This is your work, but, This is the work of God, that you believe in Him: in order that he that glories might glory in the Lord.