Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Daily - 5/5/09

John 12:44-50

44 Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the one who sent me,

45 and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me.

46 I came into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness.

47 And if anyone hears my words and does not observe them, I do not condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world but to save the world.

48 Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words has something to judge him: the word that I spoke, it will condemn him on the last day,

49 because I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and speak.

50 And I know that his commandment is eternal life. So what I say, I say as the Father told me."
------------

This is the close to John 12 and is the finish of Christ's public ministry that is recorded in John's gospel. Chapters 13-17 detail the discourses in the Upper Room, which are between Christ and his disciples. The Passion begins in John 18.

I like to look at this passage as Christ's "closing argument." He's made the triumphant entry. He's in full "rock star" mode, with thousands following him. Among the crowd are his enemies that are plotting to kill Him. He knows full well that they will succeed. I can only imaging the electricity and urgency in the air as this went down.

Let's step through it:

- v44-45: Whoever believes in Christ believes in God

- v46: He came as light, to bring believers out of the darkness

- v47-48: We are to hear His words and observe them. Christ's mission on earth was to save, not condemn. However, condemnation will come on the last day to those who reject His words.

- v49: These words come directly from the father -- YHWH, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob

- v50: These are the words of eternal life.

This one is worth reading very slowly and carefully, and in prayer. Imagine the scene, ask God to open your mind to what He wants to teach you, and think it through. Good stuff.