Monday, May 11, 2009

Daily - 5/11/09

John 14:27-31 (Tuesday gospel)

27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.

28 You heard me tell you, 'I am going away and I will come back to you.' If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I.

29 And now I have told you this before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe.

30 I will no longer speak much with you, for the ruler of the world is coming. He has no power over me,

31 but the world must know that I love the Father and that I do just as the Father has commanded me. Get up, let us go.
---------------------

If you're willing, please take some time today to consider what Christ is giving when he gives us His peace. Note that he says "not as the world gives" -- he's not talking about "peace and quiet", or the absence of activity, or the absence of war, or a "peaceful easy feeling" (I love that song). So what is it? Here's a glimpse.

Philippians 4:6-7

6 Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.

7 Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Paul is describing a peace which transcends understanding, and is so strong that we literally have nothing .... NOTHING to worry about. If you've got a worry, take it straight to God. Have NO ANXIETY at all. If you can do this, your heart and mind will be guarded by the peace that surpasses all understanding.

"Surpasses all understanding" ... that means that it's so good we literally can't describe it. I've felt this peace. Not all the time, but I feel it more and more each day. In these messages I try to share what it's like, but as scripture says, I physically can't tell you how it really feels. It transcends all understanding.

I'll say this though, I want more of it and I want everybody reading this message to have a taste of it.

So give it a try. When you're anxious, stop and determine what it is that's really bothering you, and go straight to Christ. Put it at His feet, and LEAVE IT THERE. I'm telling you, it works. It takes practice, but it is well worth your time to put this in your spiritual toolbox. Here's the best part ... if you ask Christ for His help in teaching you how, he WILL help you.

It's out there for you. Go for it!