Thursday, August 20, 2009

Daily - 8/20/09

Matthew 22:34-40

34 When the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together,

35 and one of them [a scholar of the law] tested him by asking,

36 "Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?"

37 He said to him, "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.

38 This is the greatest and the first commandment.

39 The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

40 The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."

--------------

I understand "love your neighbor as yourself," but have a hard time wrapping my mind around what it truly means to "Love your God with all your heart, all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength."

All my heart and soul? How do I go about controlling my soul? How do I make my soul to do something?

All my mind? It's too filled up with Nebraska football minutae (or for the rest of you hoosiers, Mizzou and Cardinals junk), my favorite songs, TV shows, whether or not I've got soccer, baseball, dance cub scouts, girl scouts, or PSR tonight, the crabgrass taking over my lawn, why the dog is throwing up, and about a hundred other things.

How do I go about taking control of all of that, and bending it towards God? Most days, I can't get through a decade of the rosary without my mind wandering somewhere. Same with a mass. Seriously, how do I do that? How do I get to the kind of love that Christ is talking about here?

The answer, of course, is that I physically CAN'T do this myself. I have to give God the keys, and submit myself in humility to His holy will.

Without that ... no chance.