Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Daily - 10/21/09

Luke 12:49-53

49 "I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!

50 There is a baptism with which I must be baptized, and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished!

51 Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.

52 From now on a household of five will be divided, three against two and two against three;

53 a father will be divided against his son and a son against his father, a mother against her daughter and a daughter against her mother, a mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law."
-----------

This passage speaks close to my heart. I'm the youngest of 8 kids, and only two of us have remained in the Church. I think that of the remaining 6, only one of them goes to ANY church at all.

It's funny. I can reach out to a complete stranger, but I have struggled over time with how to reach out to my brothers and sisters. There's too much history to be overcome. It's hard to look up and tell people who have known you your whole life that "this is how I really am now." And even harder to deal with the reaction. In my case, it's not rejection ... it's indifference.