Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Daily - 10/28/09

Luke 13:31-35

31 At that time some Pharisees came to him and said, "Go away, leave this area because Herod wants to kill you."

32 He replied, "Go and tell that fox, 'Behold, I cast out demons and I perform healings today and tomorrow, and on the third day I accomplish my purpose.

33 Yet I must continue on my way today, tomorrow, and the following day, for it is impossible that a prophet should die outside of Jerusalem.'

34 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how many times I yearned to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were unwilling!

35 Behold, your house will be abandoned. (But) I tell you, you will not see me until (the time comes when) you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"

----------

This dialogue comes immediately after yet another smackdown of the Pharisees. They've had enough. They try and use the name of Herod to get him to leave Galilee.

Jesus doesn't flinch. His death won't come in Galilee, it will come in Jerusalem. He will continue to march toward it. And it won't come at the hands of Herod, it will come at the hands of Israel ... the very chosen people of God will slay their greatest prophet. Jerusalem will be destroyed, and those that crucify Him won't realize that He truly is the Messiah until His second coming.