Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Daily - 11/29/09

Luke 2:36-40

36 There was also a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was advanced in years, having lived seven years with her husband after her marriage,

37 and then as a widow until she was eighty-four. She never left the temple, but worshiped night and day with fasting and prayer.

38 And coming forward at that very time, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were awaiting the redemption of Jerusalem.

39 When they had fulfilled all the prescriptions of the law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee, to their own town of Nazareth.

40 The child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom; and the favor of God was upon him.
---------

When I think back to the first week of our first child's life, it looks something like this. My wife hasn't slept in days. I have, but not much. I'm still trying to figure out which way the diapers go, and trying every trick I can think of to make the baby stop crying. We can't go anywhere without carrying 25 pounds of junk we don't need. I'm paranoid I'm going to break this child.

Things were different for the holy family. By day 8 a lot has happened. They've been serenaded by angels. There's been a bright star leading people to the manger, they've been visited by shepherds, the Magi, and who knows what else in between. Unheard of things are occurring.

The first time we went to church, the baby cried. I'm rummaging through a baby bag getting wipes and spit up towels. I'm walking the baby around, making stupid faces, and most of all I'm apologizing for the ruckus we were causing.

When the holy family goes to the temple, there is also a ruckus, but not quite like the Shurtliff ruckus. An old devout man grabs the baby, praises the Lord, and says that he has seen salvation, and can die now. An old lady identifies him as the redeemer of Israel.

The story is so familiar, but it's nearly impossible for me to understand what this must have been like.