Thursday, December 17, 2009

Daily - 12/17/09

Luke 1:39-45

39 During those days Mary set out and traveled to the hill country in haste to a town of Judah,

40 where she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth.

41 When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth, filled with the holy Spirit,

42 cried out in a loud voice and said, "Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.

43 And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

44 For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy.

45 Blessed are you who believed that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled."

----------

In the week leading up to Christmas this year we step through Luke 1, and what great readings they are. On Sunday we follow Mary to Elizabeth's house. What would it be like to be Mary, and be carrying this incredible secret? What would it be like to have your formerly barren, now pregnant relative greet you as the mother of the Lord? And be told that someone else's baby is leaping for joy at the sound of your voice?

I've read and heard the story so many times that it almost becomes ordinary. So ordinary that until tonight, I've never spent any time thinking what it would be like to be HER. This year I'm going to make it a point to slow down and meditate on these passages, and think about things from Mary's perspective.