Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Daily - 12/8/09

Matthew 11:28-30

28 Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your selves.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."
-------------
This passage has been a significant part of my life since 2001.

It is a comforting call to rest in Christ and spiritual growth. In times of trouble (when I have my wits about me) I’ve really clung to these two verses. In fact, there was a time in my life where I was suffering, and I repeated this verse to myself nearly every single day for months on end.

Come to me. Learn from me. I will give you rest. Rest for the soul ... which is something I crave.

"Take my yoke" essentially means to tie yourself to me and let me guide you. That's a lifelong process, and for me it began in earnest at the age of 32 when I had a conversion. I was all over the place. Sometimes so far away that someone looking at me wouldn't even know I was yoked to Christ. He'd have to pull me back. Sometimes gently, and sometimes with force and pain. That went on for a long, long time.

Today things are different. It seems like there's been less corrections aren't as severe, and that there is more guidance and learning going on. Not to say that I don't still need correction, because I most definitely do. But things are different now, and it's because I've submitted more and more of my life to Christ.

Much more to say on this but I'm struggling to find the words, so I'll leave it there.