Friday, April 2, 2010

Daily - 4/2/10

Philippians 2:5-11

5 Have among yourselves the same attitude that is also yours in Christ Jesus,

6 Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.

7 Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance,

8 he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross.

9 Because of this, God greatly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name,

10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
-----------

In bible study this morning, I listened to four different men speak specifically about how a commitment to the Eucharist, both at mass and in adoration, has resulted in changes in their lives. Change that are almost imperceptible at first, but can be seen over time. I listened to men talk about developing a true hunger for Christ in the Eucharist, and the difference that they have been able to see in their lives since that has happened.

It's happening with me too. For several years in my life I was very committed to reading and meditating on the Scriptures, and I grew a great amount spiritually. So much so that I was at a point where I didn't think I needed the Catholic Church. I hit a point where I didn't think the Sacraments were necessary. I could immerse myself in the Word and prayer, and get all the grace I could handle.

However, my testimony is that the growth I experienced through the Scriptures and prayer alone is small compared to the growth that has occurred since I "woke up" regarding the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist. I have CRHP to thank for that. I turned myself over to God, and He placed me with brothers who helped me understand the truth that immersion in the Word is more than immersion in Scripture and prayer. The Word is the living, breathing Christ, present in the Scriptures, present in the Church He founded, present in Reconciliation, and most intimately and directly present in the Eucharist.

So ...back to our reading. In verse 5, Paul tells us to take on the attitude of Christ. That requires us to change. More specifically, it requires us to allow God to change us, because we cannot become like Christ on our own.

There are many ways by which God changes man, and I've tried a lot of them over the past ten years. In my experience, the strongest of these is the Eucharist, and nothing else is even close.