Monday, August 30, 2010

Daily - 8/30/2010

1 Corinthians 2:1-5

When I came to you, brothers and sisters,
proclaiming the mystery of God,
I did not come with sublimity of words or of wisdom.
For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you
except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
I came to you in weakness and fear and much trembling,
and my message and my proclamation
were not with persuasive words of wisdom,
but with a demonstration of spirit and power,
so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom
but on the power of God.

----------

This passage is timely for me. Per my earlier message, we're beginning a new men's program at my new parish in Nebraska.

It's easy to get caught up in anxiety on whether or not things will work well. It's easy to feel the need to always be "on", and to be personally responsible to attract people. Those of us who have recruited for any type of spiritual event have felt that anxiety.

The reality is that all evangelization is God's work, not man's. Because of that, there is no need for us to worry. Paul sets the example - focus on Christ. Come in weakness. Speak genuinely and with the spirit -- DON'T try to wow people with great thoughts or lofty ideas. Be a tool for God to use. Let God's spirit shine through you, instead of blocking his light with your own personal pride.