Monday, November 22, 2010

11/22/10 - Christ the King

The Solemnity of Christ the King has become an important feast in the church year for me. It took me years and years to understand the implications of Christ as King.

Many people say that Jesus is "my Lord and Savior." Pretty much everyone is committed to the savior part, but how many are committed to Him being the Lord? That's not just a name. That's a title of authority. Lord -- King -- Ruler. Once I got that through my thick skull, I had to face the idea of OBEDIENCE. The King has given commands. If I do not strive to obey them, then .... He's not really my King. Jesus tells us exactly that in John 8:31-32:

31 Jesus then said to those Jews who believed in him, "If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples,

 
32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

We love the "truth will set you free" part, but how many realize that it is conditional? We must remain in Him. THEN we will be his disciples, and THEN we will know the truth, and THEN the truth will set us free. If we don't remain in Him, we AREN'T his disciples. He is not our King. So ... how does one "remain" in Christ? We get that answer in John 15:9-12

9 As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love.

10 If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in his love.


 12 This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.

If I want to be the King's disciple, I must obey the King, and follow this command. Love one another as Christ loved us. That's a tall order, to be sure. That's why Christ says that the gate to the Kingdom is narrow, and the way is constricted. In fact, it's impossible for me to do on my own. So I must submit to the King's authority, and allow Him to transform me.
11 "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.