Tuesday, January 18, 2011

1/18/11 - I Know Mine AND MINE KNOW ME

John 10:14-15
 

I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me,

just as the Father knows me and I know the Father;

and I will lay down my life for the sheep.

-----
 
What do we know about the relationship between the God the Father and Christ?  We know that they are the same nature, but separate persons.   We know that Christ knew he was put on this earth to do the will of the Father.  We know that he relied on the Father through thick and thin.  We know that from the Father, Christ was given the strength to deal with every trial that came His way.  We know that everything Christ had belonged to the Father, and everything He did belonged to the Father.  We know that Christ and the Father are one.  The list goes on and on, and I'm nowhere near capable of describing it.
 
In the passage above, Christ is telling us that those who are truly His have a similar relationship with Him.  He knows us as the Father knows Him, and we know Him as He knows the Father.
 
At the moment I see two sides to that point.  First -- if I'm short of that in my life, the best single thing I can do is to grow my relationship with Christ.  It is far more important to KNOW Him than know ABOUT Him.  So that means that I have some work to do.  Namely -- understanding what He says, asking Him what He wants me to do, listening for the answer ... and doing it.  As it says in 1 John:
 
"Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments."
 
But secondly -- consider the implications.  Consider the nature of the prize that we as Catholics are seeking.  Complete union with Christ -- nothing short of Divinity! It's audacious.  But we have that audacity because Christ has given us the right to have that relationship, and in Him all things are possible.
 
Given the nature of the reward -- isn't it worth the effort to get to know Christ?