Monday, March 21, 2011

3/21/11 - The Measure With Which You Measure



Luke 6:36-38

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

“Stop judging and you will not be judged.
Stop condemning and you will not be condemned.
Forgive and you will be forgiven.
Give and gifts will be given to you;
a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing,
will be poured into your lap.
For the measure with which you measure
will in return be measured out to you.”

----------

This is the type of passage that if a person truly decides to live by it for the rest of his life, he could become a saint:  be merciful, don't judge, don't condemn, forgive, and give.

Where most of us mess up is the execution.  I'm convinced that there are two major reasons for this:

1.  We don't fully believe and accept that this is necessary, and therefore we don't commit to living like He lived.  

2.  We don't TRULY believe that it's actually possible that we can follow His teaching.

Over the last two years I've finally bought in to #1.  For years and years, I tried to take other passages of Scripture and use them to convince myself that I didn't have to actually live like Christ said. All I needed to do was "believe."  But then I woke up and realized that there's no way to legitimately say that I "believe in Christ" without actually BELIEVING WHAT HE SAID.    So if I believe the passage above, there are things I need to DO.

That leads us to #2.  I used to give myself an excuse by saying that nobody can actually live Christ's way.  Maybe a little bit, or in some ways, but not all the way.  Then I started reading about Saints -- the people that the Church has concluded are in heaven, without a doubt.  I've read both biographies, autobiographies, and their own writings.  Once I started doing this, I realized that there are indeed people out there who have walked this path.  

The remaining hurdle is not believing that I personally can live like Christ asked.  The key here, I think, is understanding that I can't do it alone.  However, if I put my trust completely in Him, I really can surprise myself.  On the occasions where I have completely trusted in Christ, I can testify (ie, state from my own experience), that I have a higher capacity to forgive, and a higher desire to give.  I am less judgemental and condemning.  And the best part ... I don't worry.

The path ahead, then, is to keep that thought fully in my consciousness.  I've had moments like this, but they are disconnected.  I need to become fully aware that He is the key with everything.  With Him, all is possible. 

So don't leave His side.

1 comment:

  1. The doing following the believing is just what we are supposed to do as Christians, but we can do nothing without His grace. Each of us has a special job God picked us to do and for which He will call us to account. So, Lord, take the scales from my eyes and help me to be and do what You want."

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment!