Friday, October 7, 2011

10/7/11 - Pearl of Great Price

Matthew 13:44-46

44 “The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again, and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls.
46 When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it.
-------

How much do you value the kingdom of heaven?

According to Christ, we should value it more than anything. It is so valuable that we should "sell all that we have" to obtain it. We should hold onto it with everything we have, because it is FAR FAR FAR more valuable than anything that we value here on earth -- even the things we value the most.

I came back to this verse recently and was struck by it. In my head, I want to value the kingdom of God as Christ says. I'm pretty sure that's what my heart wants too. That all sounds good ... but the proof is in the pudding. The easiest way to understand the things that I truly value is to look at how I spend my time, my money, and my talents. When I look at myself hard from that perspective, I can identify a number of things that I hold more value than the Kingdom.

That's just plain wrong,

Of course, faith comes from God. We are human. We are fallen. We are on a journey. But it IS incumbent upon us to realize that ARE on a journey, and that we need God's grace to get us to the Kingdom. We need to ask Him to take us there. Not just once, but over and over and over, throughout the course of our lives. As St. Paul says, we must "press on toward the goal."

If you're reading this and am with me, just take a moment to stop and pray, and ask God for His help today. And pray for me as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment!