Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Daily - 7/28/09

John 11:19-27

19 And many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them about their brother.

20 When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went to meet him; but Mary sat at home.

21 Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.

22 (But) even now I know that whatever you ask of God, God will give you."

23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise."

24 Martha said to him, "I know he will rise, in the resurrection on the last day."

25 Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live,

26 and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

27 She said to him, "Yes, Lord. I have come to believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one who is coming into the world."

-------------

When Jesus tells Martha that Lazarus will rise, she thinks he's talking about the resurrection on the last day. Christ corrects her -- he is the resurrection and the life, for those who believe in me. He asks her if she believes, and she confesses that Christ is the messiah.

To me, this raises the question -- what does Christ mean when he says "belive in me"? We find part of the answer in 1 John 5:

1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is begotten by God, and everyone who loves the father loves (also) the one begotten by him.
2 In this way we know that we love the children of God when we love God and obey his commandments.
3 For the love of God is this, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome,
4 for whoever is begotten by God conquers the world. And the victory that conquers the world is our faith.