Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Daily - 6/2/2010

2 Tm 1:1-3, 6-12

Paul, an Apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God
for the promise of life in Christ Jesus,
to Timothy, my dear child:
grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father
and Christ Jesus our Lord.

I am grateful to God,
whom I worship with a clear conscience as my ancestors did,
as I remember you constantly in my prayers, night and day.

For this reason, I remind you to stir into flame
the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands.
For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice
but rather of power and love and self-control.
So do not be ashamed of your testimony to our Lord,
nor of me, a prisoner for his sake;
but bear your share of hardship for the Gospel
with the strength that comes from God.

He saved us and called us to a holy life,
not according to our works
but according to his own design
and the grace bestowed on us in Christ Jesus before time began,
but now made manifest
through the appearance of our savior Christ Jesus,
who destroyed death and brought life and immortality
to light through the Gospel,
for which I was appointed preacher and Apostle and teacher.
On this account I am suffering these things;
but I am not ashamed,
for I know him in whom I have believed
and am confident that he is able to guard
what has been entrusted to me until that day.

----------

Today's 1st reading.

Paul calls Timothy to stir into flame the gifts of God that he received when Paul anointed him a Priest. I believe that we have the same call.

As Paul says later, the spirit we are given is of power, love, and self control. We are called to use that spirit. We are called to be bold, not ashamed. We are called to holiness.

We are called "not according to our works, but to his own design." I think this point is extremely important. There are many people who claim to be doing things in God's name and/or according to God's will. I think most of us on this email have been in that place, at one time or another.

How often, though, do we CHECK to see that we are doing God's will? Do I just do what I think is right and assume it's from God? Or do I come to God, offer myself to Him, and ask Him to use me as He wants? Do I pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance and assistance? Or do I think I already know?