Wednesday, February 16, 2011

2/16/11 - A Joyful Jubilee



 
 
John 14:28
 
You heard me tell you, 'I am going away and I will come back to you.' If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I.
-----
 
My mother died a year ago today.
 
As I walked into mass this morning, I thought of this verse.  I personally think the Holy Spirit called it to my attention.  Christ is referring to his own death, but this verse carries a teaching that we all should cherish.  There is certainly sadness in death, and there is definitely a time to mourn.  However, we Christians know that it is a gateway to something far, far better.   
 
That is definitely the case with my mother.  She was 89 when she died, and had been living with Alzheimer's and a couple of other physical ailments for 5+ years.  The Alzheimer's was bad enough to where she would go days without speaking at all, and when she did speak, is was never more than a couple of words.  She didn't recognize her children or grandchildren at all, which of course was harder on us than it was on her.
 
The Holy Spirit reminded me this morning that Christ came and brought her home, and relieved her from that suffering.  He reminded me that this is a day for celebration, not for mourning.  Her labors on earth are over, and now she beholds the Divine.
 
Alleluia!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment!