Friday, April 25, 2008

Daily - 4/25/08

Psalm 31:1-6

1 For the leader. A psalm of David.

2 In you, LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. In your justice deliver me;

3 incline your ear to me; make haste to rescue me! Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to save me.

4 You are my rock and my fortress; for your name's sake lead and guide me.

5 Free me from the net they have set for me, for you are my refuge.

6 Into your hands I commend my spirit; you will redeem me, LORD, faithful God.

-------------------------

FYI - In Luke’s gospel, Jesus repeats verse 6 with his dying words (Luke 23:46).


In my opinion, truly seeing God as your refuge and protector is a result of spiritual maturity, of completely giving control over to God, and completely trusting in him. I’d love to say that I have reached that level of maturity, but I’m definitely not there yet. Mostly I put my trust in myself or other men. Sometimes that works out, and sometimes it doesn’t.


The most faithful people I know -- they guys that I want to be like -- have full trust in God. I want to be like that. It's hard though. Guys by nature are fixers. We want to "be the man," be the protector and ruler of our own kingdoms. It’s difficult for me to completely trust God and turn over control to Him. And yet that’s exactly what God wants me to do. I’ve found that in this case, it doesn’t come natural at all. I’ve had to just do it. I need to do it more.