Friday, August 22, 2008

Daily - 8/22/08

Philippians 3:12-14

12 It is not that I have already taken hold of it or have already attained perfect maturity, but I continue my pursuit in hope that I may possess it, since I have indeed been taken possession of by Christ (Jesus).

13 Brothers, I for my part do not consider myself to have taken possession. Just one thing: forgetting what lies behind but straining forward to what lies ahead,

14 I continue my pursuit toward the goal, the prize of God's upward calling, in Christ Jesus.
------------


I want to focus on the last half of v13, and v14. Paul is talking about attaining spiritual maturity. Look at his plan – forgetting what lies behind but straining forward to what lies ahead, I continue my pursuit toward the goal.

It is inevitable that we will sin on our own journeys of faith. Paul knows that and he’s done it (ie, Romans 3:23 – all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and pretty much all of Romans 7). We are convicted by sin, but we are not to dwell on it. We are to seek absolution from God, then forget what lies behind, and continue on the journey.

Sometimes when sin occurs – Satan steps right in and showers us with guilt. This keeps us from the "pursuit of the goal." How can we project a life of light when sin lies on our conscious? I don’t know about you, but I get those thoughts. In fact, I’ve had some in the past week. We need to remember that our God is forgiving, and if we repent, confess our sins, and ask forgiveness, we will get it. We should have confidence in that, and not listen to the Father of Lies as he whispers in our ear about how we’re not worthy to seek God’s face.