Monday, June 28, 2010

Daily - 6/28/10

Psalm 16:7-11

7 I bless the LORD who counsels me; even at night my heart exhorts me.

8 I keep the LORD always before me; with the Lord at my right, I shall never be shaken.

9 Therefore my heart is glad, my soul rejoices; my body also dwells secure,

10 For you will not abandon me to Sheol, nor let your faithful servant see the pit.

11 You will show me the path to life, abounding joy in your presence, the delights at your right hand forever.
------

This was the responsorial psalm at mass yesterday.

Have you ever wanted to talk to meet someone you've seen in the Scriptures? I have that feeling about David. God described him as "a man after my own heart," and exalted him to the point that he brought forth the Christ from David's line.

I would love to spend some time with a guy like that and learn from him. Imagine the stories - slaying Goliath, cool war blood and guts stuff, escaping from incredible adversit. Good man stuff.

What I'd ask him the most about, though, is how he goes about his daily life with God. This psalm is THE answer. Simple and beautiful. Keep him in my sight always. Know in my heart that with the Lord I will always be safe. Have complete confidence that He will show me the path to life.

Abounding joy and delight in His presence.

This isn't the stuff of fairy tales. It is real. This life can be had while still on earth. David had it. Others have had it. It's worth it to stop and really consider what they tell us, and to put it into practice.

If we're willing to take that step, the Lord will give us everything we need.