Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Daily - 11/10/10

Psalm 23:1-6


1 A psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.

2 In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me;

3 you restore my strength. You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.

4 Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.

5 You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

6 Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

--------

More and more as I read the psalms, I see a sublime level of faith that I long for. This psalm in particular talks describes a faith that I aspire to, but have not attained. If you rely completely on God, you lack nothing. He leads you to green pastures, and to safe waters. He restores your strength. He guides you along the right path. Even when the path is dark.

Your cup overflows -- grace and love in ABUNDANCE. More than you could ever expect, or even think you could handle.

This isn't a pipe dream. It can happen, and our Church's rich history is filled with people who have experienced it. We just celebrated them on All Saints Day, and we are all called to it, all of us. Lately, I've been increasingly conscious of it as a target, and I'm asking God to change my life -- my desires, my priorities, what I spend my time on -- so that my will inches closer to His. That means some things definitely have to change, including worldly things that I'm pretty attached to.

This Scripture gives me encouragement on that path. Sometimes Jesus slowly shows me something about myself that has to change if I'm to grow in my relationship with Him. As this psalm says, though, if he's my shepherd there is nothing that I lack. Even if it means giving up something that I really like, or am really attached to.

I ask God for the grace to walk down this road, and to persevere. It is one thing to get started, and quite another to finish.

Green pastures. Safe waters. Restored strength. An overflowing cup. That's what I want.