Monday, December 13, 2010

12/13/10 - Back to Basics

John 4:31-34

31 Meanwhile, the disciples urged him, "Rabbi, eat." 

32 But he said to them, "I have food to eat of which you do not know." 

33 So the disciples said to one another, "Could someone have brought him something to eat?" 

34 Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of the one who sent me and to finish his work.

----
Over the past few weeks I've let my prayer life suffer.  I'm still praying here and there, and sending these emails out, but I'm just not doing the "baseline" daily devotions that I've laid out for myself. Those things typically take a total of an hour spread out over the course of a day.  I also haven't been to adoration for a few weeks, and I've only gone to a couple of daily masses over that time.

Work is pretty busy at the moment, but that's a convenient excuse.  The true reason is that I just haven't put God first. It's my level of commitment.  I'm stuck at the first commandment.

Christ, when tired and weary, responds that he has "food to eat of which you do not know", and that his food "is to do the will of the one who sent me and to finish his work." 

We all can have this food. I know from my own experience how things go as I rely more on this food.  But instead, I walk away from it.  Time to let God recharge me, rather than assume I can recharge myself.  And that means I need to recommit to the daily routine, with a stronger dose of the Eucharist, adoration, and reconciliation. 

Back to basics.