Wednesday, June 8, 2011

6/8/11 - The Centurion




Well I've taken quite a break.  Here we go!
Matthew 8:5-10

5 When he entered Capernaum, a centurion approached him and appealed to him, 

6 saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully." 

7 He said to him, "I will come and cure him." 

8 The centurion said in reply, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed. 

9 For I too am a person subject to authority, with soldiers subject to me. And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come here,' and he comes; and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it."

10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, "Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith.

-----


"Jesus Christ is my personal Lord and Savior".

Lots of people say this.  For the most part, people are "all in" on the idea of Jesus as Savior - how could you not be?  He is the Lamb that takes away the sin of the world, and we all absolutely need that.

But what about Jesus as Lord?  When someone is Lord, they are a ruler.  They have absolute, unqeustionable authority.  That isn't a popular idea these days, and for us in America, it's a repulsive idea.  Our country is based on the premise that we don't deal with those guys.

That wasn't the case for the centurion.  He was a military man.  He had people bound to his orders, and he was bound to the orders of his superiors.  Completely bound, without question.

As a man who served under authority, he recognized authority when he saw it.  He didn't need proof.  He didn't need a demonstration.  He didn't need Christ to come with him.  He was absolutely, 100% sure that if Christ said the servant was healed, that he would be healed.  No questions asked.

I think it's worthwhile for all Christians to take a long, hard look and determine whether or not Christ is Lord in their life.  Do you believe Christ is authoritative in what He says?  If so, do you submit to His authority, really and truly?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment!