Friday, August 20, 2010

Daily - 8/20/10

I sent this out to my accountability group this week and decided to just share with everyone today.

The quotes below were written by people who have expreienced extremely high levels of prayer, but they contain wisdom that all of us should pay attention to. Both quotes testify that Christ is the ultimate teacher, far greater and powerful than any earthly teacher.

From the Imitation of Christ

"Imitation" was written by Thomas A Kempis in the 15th Centry, and after the bible, it is the most read Christian book in the world. It was used by many saints (including St. Therese of Lisieux) to help in their spiritual development. Book 3 of the Imitation consists of an "interior conversation" between Christ and a disciple. This quote is from Christ teaching the disciple.
--------

My child, do not let the fine-sounding and subtle words of men deceive you. For the kingdom of heaven consists not in talk but in virtue. Attend, rather, to My words which enkindle the heart and enlighten the mind, which excite contrition and abound in manifold consolations. Never read them for the purpose of appearing more learned or more wise. Apply yourself to mortifying your vices, for this will benefit you more than your understanding of many difficult questions.

Though you shall have read and learned many things, it will always be necessary for you to return to this one principle: I am He who teaches man knowledge, and to the little ones I give a clearer understanding than can be taught by man. He to whom I speak will soon be wise and his soul will profit. But woe to those who inquire of men about many curious things, and care very little about the way they serve Me.

The time will come when Christ, the Teacher of teachers, the Lord of angels, will appear to hear the lessons of all -- that is, to examine the conscience of everyone. Then He will search Jerusalem with lamps and the hidden things of darkness will be brought to light and the arguings of men's tongues be silenced.

I am He Who in one moment so enlightens the humble mind that it comprehends more of eternal truth than could be learned by ten years in the schools. I teach without noise of words or clash of opinions, without ambition for honor or confusion of argument.

(Imitation of Christ, Book 3, chapter 43)


From St. Therese of Lisieux - Doctor of the Church: “I understand and I know from experience that ‘The kingdom of God is within you.’ Jesus has no need of books or teachers to instruct souls; He teaches without the noise of words. Never have I heard Him speak, but I feel that He is within me at each moment; He is guiding and inspiring me with what I must say and do. I find just when I need them certain lights that I had not see until then, and it isn’t most frequently during my hours of prayer that these are most abundant but rather in the midst of my daily occupations”

(Story of a Soul - Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux)