Friday, August 27, 2010

Daily - 8/27/10

Last night I went to adoration at my new church in town. The adoration chapel is simple and striking - a tabernacle adorned with gold, and surrounded by flickering candles. I really felt the presence of Christ.

During adoration, I began to think that if Christ is inside of me ... I am a tabernacle. Which made me think about how good of a job I do as a vessel for Christ. Am I a suitable dwelling place for Him? Do I radiate God's presence? Do I surround myself with light? Am I aware of God's presence within? Do I truly understand that God is living inside me?

Fast forward to this morning. I'm at a men's bible study, and we are discussing Romans 12. Here are the first two verses.

Romans 12:1-2

1 I urge you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God, your spiritual worship.

2 Do not conform yourselves to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect.

The passage goes on to give specific "do's and don'ts" of Christian living. In fact, the catechism calls out Romans 12-15 as the moral teaching of the church:

1971 To the Lord's Sermon on the Mount it is fitting to add the moral catechesis of the apostolic teachings, such as Romans 12-15, 1 Corinthians 12-13, Colossians 3-4, Ephesians 4-5, etc. This doctrine hands on the Lord's teaching with the authority of the apostles, particularly in the presentation of the virtues that flow from faith in Christ and are animated by charity, the principal gift of the Holy Spirit.

I had to chuckle at it all. Last night, I'm meditating on the image of a tabernacle. Twelve hours later, I'm presented with exactly how a tabernacle should behave, per the Magesterium of the Catholic Church.

Amazing coincidence, don't you think?