Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Daily - 4/7/09

Isaiah 50:4-9a (Wednesday's First Reading)

4 The Lord GOD has given me a well-trained tongue, That I might know how to speak to the weary a word that will rouse them. Morning after morning he opens my ear that I may hear;

5 And I have not rebelled, have not turned back.

6 I gave my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; My face I did not shield from buffets and spitting.

7 The Lord GOD is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame.

8 He is near who upholds my right; if anyone wishes to oppose me, let us appear together. Who disputes my right? Let him confront me.

9 See, the Lord GOD is my help; who will prove me wrong?
------------------

This was also the first reading on Palm Sunday.

The Suffering Servant describes His relationship with God. He is fully aware of that his gifts come completely from God. His mission is one of teaching, healing, and humility. He knows he will face extreme challenges, and he does so without complaining, and without letting his pride control his actions. He relies on the Lord, and only the Lord, for help.

As v4 says, the Servant relies on God every morning to open his ear that He may hear. This is the model for us. If we are willing to give up control and rely on God completely, He will take care of us. How many of us ask God every day to open our ears that we may hear, and ask Him to give us a well-trained tongue so we can comfort the weary?

Here's the trick, though. We must come to God in humility. It is when we are weak, that we are strong (2 Corinthians 12:10). How many of us can even approach Christ's example of humility? Not many, but I do know this for certain: we are called to try. If we submit our pride to God, he will transform us over time. God makes all of this possible for us.